Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hopped off the plane at LAX ...

...with my dream and a cardigannnn. Ok...I know. It sickens me too.
I just quoted a MILEY song. But, can't help it...in 30 min I'm hopping off the plane...at LAX...and I'm wearing a cardigan. So it fits...

And. THIS IS MY DREAM.

I have always wanted the opportunity to break out of Mass. After 18 years in the Tyngs, 4 years in Wellesley, with a brief stint in Espana, this is exactly what I want right now. Junior year at Babson, when I started thinking "jobs?! next year?!" I told myself I was gonna get out of Mass and see something new (ideally in Cali). Low and behold...it's going according to plan.

God Bless Uncle Ray. I didn't expect this process to be so simple. Well, granted, the interviewing process and competition to get the job wasn't a walk in the park. But since I accepted, the logistical aspects have been smooth sailing. Movers came and packed up everything I owned yesterday...now its on a truck somewhere headed west. And my little yaris is also somewhere out there making the trek across the country. I'm so fortunate for how simple the process has been. It makes me wonder if I ever would have left without the program I'm in...well it just might have taken a little longer.

It's a bit unsettling knowing this is a one way ticket. I keep questioning how strong my roots are in Mass. I'm constantly confronted with the idea that maybe, I won't come back? Where does love for a "home" disconnect from love for your friends & family vs love for the actual place itself...
I've only felt true "homesickness" at various points in time freshman year of college...and thats pretty much the norm for a 17 year old who's lived in the same town her own life with the same group of best friends. Was that homesick feeling created by my want to be at home? or with my friends? or because I just love the tyngs? I'm sure there's no answer and it's probably some sort of combination of the three. But I'm anxious to see how my my attitude is 3 months into my time in LA...odds are, I'll have no complaints.

All I know, is I wouldn't trade anything for the past 8 months since graduation. The whole "life ends after college" is total bull. I can't believe I fell for that. Life has been wonderful. (an income doesn't hurt either).

I want to give a shoutout to my home friends. (even though they think I'm a dork for blogging) You guys are so thoughtful for the gift last night. It's no secret that I'm far from the next Rachel Ray...but you guys are helping jumpstart my kitchen ambition! I can't wait til everything gets shipped out and I can play. The cookbook was such a nice touch too...god forbid I don't know "how to make fruit salad" or "grilled cheese".

And another shoutout...straight to Claudita. YO CLAUDS! you think I'm not gonna blog from LA? Looks like you're already mistaken! booya. Alison 1 : Clauds 0. OK fine. I'm not technically even in LA since I'm still on the plane, but still, mark my words. I'll hit that target of 3 in no time.

Ps. Airlines with power outlets and wifi = genius. What took so long for a plane to realize that people would greatly appreciate a plug under their seat. God love Richard Branson and his wonderful airline. The cool purple lights are a nice touch too Lord Rich...

I'm going to close with my goals for the next 365 days (or more) in LA.
1) Learn (or attempt) to Surf.
2) Meet a celeb (not too tough) but keep my cool & speak to them as if they're not God walking among us (very tough). Maybe even get some digits? A stretch, but I aim high.
3) Ride my bike wherever I need to go instead of using my car (just tryin to help that smog issue)
4) Run the San Diego Marathon June 6th.
5) Get up to Napa Valley
6) Find a beach volleyball team (should be a walk in the park...or a stroll in the sand haha. get it?).
7) Ski Mammoth
8) Wake up for work...
9) Basically, just live the dream.

Blogging from 35,000 feet up....
<3>

ps. its really sad that this is my first blog since starting at the wonderful world of raytheon. wowza. my apologies.


2 comments:

  1. UMM...CLAUDS 1 ALISON 0....haha this blog was written in the air, and you have been in Cali for what 5 weeks now, where are the blogs now? hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10. Run with Patrick Erker along the beach.

    ReplyDelete