Sunday, March 28, 2010

Two Months & One Half Marathon Later...

California two months later. I don't even know where to begin. But I can honestly say...I am beyond content with life.

I use the word "beyond" because for all intents and purposes, there aren't too many moments where I'd admit that I'm not content with life. LA has been one wonderful thing after another. I have amazing friends out here, sunny day after sunny day, a nice 12 minute drive into the office each morning, and the pacific ocean in my front yard.

However, I'm still looking for the catch to Socal...

Granted, I've come up with a few. Firstly, I could live without 9.25% tax. (god love new hampshire shopping. I'm just spoiled). Secondly. Yes, LA is a congested city but honestly, for all the right reasons...when it's as ideal of a climate as it is year round and there's as much opportunity as LA has to offer, you can't question the population size. It's inevitable. But when you live in the wonderful world of the south bay and can manage to avoid any contact with the 405, you definitely have no right to complain. And last but not least, sure, LA is situated on the biggest fault line in the country. But earthquakes can't scare me away & besides, I survived #1 just about 2 weeks ago. And the only effect it had on me, was make me appear to be on even more happy pills at work that day. My coworker walks in my office that Tuesday, and per usual asks "hey al, how's the morning?" My response, "IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE" and he looked at me like I was a freak of nature. (I'm used to it) But in my defense, he probably would have reacted differently had he even realized we just had a 4.5 magnitude earthquake...but somehow managed to miss that tid bit of morning news. (OH LA news. That's another blog for another day. SUCH a joke out here).

So I found myself glancing back at my last blog the other day, written while on the plane ride here. I tally'ed the list of goals...and MAN did I not write enough on that list. I've already accomplished 6 of the 9.

I met stars at the NAACP awards and managed to sit front row center where I could reach out and touch the podium that was graced by Jamie Foxx, Morgan Freeman, Chris Rock, Tyler Perry, I could go on. Incredible experience to say the least and I'm still trying to figure out how I got pulled to the front. (I'm going with that they were "diversifying" the audience, sandra didn't want to be the only white girl in the front row!)

I already conquered Mammoth. Two weekends ago myself, my roommate Zach, and our fellow FLDP'ers Ben, Sean, and Nick made the easy 5ish hour trek to Mammoth and skiied for three days. Absolutely unreal. You can't beat Cali's snow depth's and the views that easily resemble the Alps.

Even the simpler goal of "waking up for work"...HA what a piece of cake that's been. I'm reaching a point where I don't even need to set an alarm anymore. It's funny to think back to senior year, where my 9:45 am Law class which required an 8:45 am alarm clock was like having my teeth pulled each morning. (Although, I do miss waking up & seeing Sam's bright smiling face and enjoying my bowl of cereal with her. but I digress...) But lets just say, the minute my eyes open for a split second, and my brain recognizes that I'm in california, and I see that sunshine peering through the slates of my blinds, I pop right out of bed. Whether it be a workday or a weekend, I'm averaging a 7:15 am wake up each day. Absurd. I'm rarely ever tired too at work. I don't get the same mid day sleepyness that I used to (I pray that I just didn't jinx this.) And if I do...I go for a stroll outside through the courtyard, catch some rays and instantly feel more awake.

The one goal that has completely consumed my mind for the past few weeks, but moreso the past 24 hours...To run the SD Marathon....OR to not run. This is seriously the hardest question for me to answer.

A gold medalist marathoner once said "You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming". I just ran the Baystate Marathon on October 18th 2009. That feels like yesterday. Am I ready to go through the pain that I experienced that marathon? I am constantly analyzing that race in my mind. The THRILL of racing from the firing of the gun til about mile 15 was wonderful. I felt on top of the world, running at a solid pace and keeping a positive attitude the entire time. It was when the winds picked up, sleet pelted down and mile twenty (THE WALL) approached...the memories of the leg cramps and charlie horses, well, not sure if I'm ready for that again. Its so easy to just say "ALISON stop being a wimp and just DO IT". But what it comes down to. I could "just do it" and cross that finish line with an okay time. But I want to "just do it" right. It's so much time and energy to train for a marathon. Am I ready to devote the next 2 months to that again? AND two months isn't even enough time in my mind. But I have been putting a decent amount of miles in so far, so I'm not starting from scratch.

Yesterday, I naturally woke up at 4:35 since my alarm was set for 4:45. It was time to get up, put the game face on, and run "The Great Race" ...a half marathon in Agoura Hills, CA which I signed up for a month ago, and managed to rope 3 other friends of mine in with me. The best part of post college racing, is the thrill of starting lines and only feeling excitement, not the same dread I had from the pressure placed on me. This race was purely upon my will. I had no idea what to expect from the course. But as mile 4 approached, road gradually turned to trails that led deep into the hills of Callabasus and made for the most breathtaking (literally) views of the Santa Monica mountains. Combine the Sierra Nevada's of Granada, with more gorgeous vegetation and more Grand Canyon-esque rock formations...that was this race. There were moments where it was like rock climbing, and trying to keep your 8 minute mile pace going vertical up mountains was anything but easy. The best moment was hitting Mile 6 and hearing that I was only 12 minutes behind the leader. Mile 5 through 8 were my favorite. My pace kept strong and I was just cruising up and down the rolling hills of the trails. Mile 9 was just a shock. I took my concentration off the footing of the trail to look at the scenery for just a second...and I see a MOUNTAIN that has colored specks inching up the hill, zig zagging across. I just felt like ending it all at that point. As I cursed the creator of that course, I used that hill to pick off some runners that had to walk it. (weaksauce, no walking in races). So it worked out. ANYWHO. I finished the race in 1 hour 50 minutes, 4th of 35 in the age group, and 121st of over 1k people in the race. I'll take it for a first half marathon and an extremely challenging course.

But that leaves me here, still debating San Diego. I could just suck it up and run the full. Or do another half and try to beat that time, and not beat my body up for the next 2 months. It almost feels masochistic to put myself through another marathon so soon after my first, and to do it in such little training time. But why do I feel like running the half marathon would be slacking?

To be decided...I need to register this week. So I'll get back to ya.

Wellp. That's the tip of the iceberg for the californian adventure thus far. I'll have to get another post brewing soon. (Just for the record clauds, so far you were right, hate to say it).

happy trails. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment